Kirklees Applicants

Applications can be made online at the Kirklees Council Website (search under “Free School Meals”)
Link here.

Alternatively, parents can telephone 01484 221928 and have a form completed by the contact centre staff.

Paper forms can be downloaded from the website but it must be noted that this will take longer to process due to post timescales.

Please make parents aware of the qualifying criteria:

Children and young people who live in Kirklees who:

  • attend full time at a local authority school or sixth form
  • are under 19 years of age

and whose parents or carers receive one or more of the following:

  • Income Support
  • Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit, but are not entitled to a Working Tax Credit and your annual income (as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs) is less than £16,190
  • Support under Part V1 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • Guarantee element of State Pension Credit

The application should be for new applications only – any child already receiving free school meals does not need to apply. This can cause unnecessary work as each individual application needs to be checked.

Calderdale Applicants

You can request a Free School Meals application form from your school or from the Benefits Assessment Unit (0845-245-8000).

Free School Meals are available for school children of parents or guardians who receive one of the following:

  • Income Support.
  • Job Seeker’s Allowance (income based).
  • Child Tax Credit, and have an annual income of less than £16,190 (as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs).
  • Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit.
  • Support payments under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.

If you are receiving Working Tax Credit, your child / children are not entitled to free school meals.
You must tell them if you have any changes affecting the above income, as it may affect your entitlement to Free School Meals.
They will send you a letter telling you the start and end date of your Free School Meal entitlement. A copy of this letter will be sent to your child’s school to let them know.